Banana Pumpkin Pancakes
-Paleo friendly pancakes!-
Brunch is HUGE in my family and honestly throughout the entire U.S., and for the majority of items on the menu it's like eating dessert for the first meal of the day! Who would complain? However good it might taste, is introducing your body to sugar that early in your day really a smart idea? Well if your job is in the sugar industry it is! The goal of many varieties of processed, prepackaged "breakfast" foods is to begin peoples addiction to sugar early in the day so it leaves you craving more & more the other 14-15 hours you're awake. This is a prime example of the sugar companies' marketing teams doing a great job, yet this is far from ideal for our bodies.
Growing up, I was never a big 'pancake' girl... waffles topped with strawberries & whipped cream rated #1 on my list. As I made my transition to the 'Paleo World' I knew there had to be some way to enjoy this traditional meal without completely jumping off the deep end. I compiled this recipe nearly 2 years ago and it changed my life forever. Pancakes immediately jumped to the front of my radar, leaving waffles in the dust & today I continue to consider these bad boys a staple in my diet. There's nothing better than waking up to coffee, bacon, & pumpkin pancakes on a Saturday morning, this is the kind of stuff I live for!
Don't let the pumpkin fool you into thinking this is only a recipe for fall, these pancakes are delicious all year long!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2C. Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Banana
- 1/8-1/4C. Almond Flour (used to thicken)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp of each: pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, & sea salt
- Maple Syrup and/or Almond Butter (for topping)
- In a blender combine all ingredients EXCEPT the coconut oil
- Blend until smooth
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet
- Begin to pour the batter into individual pancakes
- Flip the cakes as bubbles begin to form (3-4min.)
- Remove from heat when cooked through
- Top with Maple Syrup, Bananas, &/or Almond Butter & ENJOY!
You just may have found your new favorite breakfast food!