Easy, Delicious, Green Smoothie
-Don't let the color deceive you, this smoothie tastes amazing!-
Generally when you hear the word 'smoothie' your mind immediately pictures tantalizing scarlet or fuchsia beverages, not a grotesque green mystery drink. And while I admittedly used to feel the same way when I saw others drinking their forest green concoction from their blender bottle, over the years I have grown quite fond of these formerly 'unappealing' treats and here's why!
- Leafy greens pack a mean nutritional punch as they are filled with many vitamins and minerals that are critical to our health
- You can fit 2-3 servings of your daily vegetable servings into 1 smoothie
- So while it may not look the most appetizing, the taste of a smoothie is rarely affected with the addition of greens as they are flavorless
- Smoothies are a low mess option when looking for an easy meal
- They are a better choice than juices since they still contain fiber which is essential for our elimination system
- Although I prefer fresh, smoothies can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days... think Grab'n'Go
- They are easy to digest as they food particles have already begun to break down
- Regular consumption of green smoothies can lead to increased cravings for green vegetables
- Children & adults enjoy them to the same extent
- And finally, the recipe options are endless!
I first found this smoothie at a local co-op when I lived in IL, it was my 'go-to' when finals and papers were crashing down upon me. Wanting to recreate this deliciousness at home I tweaked a few of the ingredients to decrease the amount of sugar/sweetness and now find myself making this smoothie weekly!
- 1 Green Apple
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- 1 Handful of Kale
- 4-5 Mint Leaves
- 2Tbsp Collagen Peptides
- 2Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1Tbsp RAW Honey
- 1/4C. H2O
- Crushed Ice
- Wash & dice the apple, then place in a blender
- Add in the avocado, lime juice, mint leaves and water and pulse 20-30 seconds
- Add the remaining ingredients & blend until smooth
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days
Do you drink green smoothies? If so, what are your favorite recipes? And if not, are you willing to try this recipe?
*If you are on the 21-Day Sugar Detox be sure to omit the honey
**Some links above may be my affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click on it and confirm a purchase. Doing this is no additional cost to you, but it is very helpful to me. Your support is greatly appreciated, so thank you in advance if you choose to do so.